Back in the day, Tupperware was known for producing kitchenware like plastic plates. Yes, they still do it till today. Our moms were known for using some of the products and many of such products are still available in many kitchens. But do you know that Tupperware also offers an opportunity to make good money by selling its products through its MLM program? If the answer is no, then it is time for you to know what is Tupperware MLM.
Today, I will be reviewing the Tupperware MLM business model and let you see why it is different from other MLM models.
You will know if the Tupperware MLM is legit or a scam and also discover the products and compensation it offers, and the pros and cons of joining it.
New to MLM?
Read: What is MLM Business
What is Tupperware?
Tupperware is one of the leading American MLM companies that sell home and kitchen products. The company was founded in 1946 by Earl Tupper. He was a chemist who invented durable plastics to replace the normal kitchenware in America.
In those days, using plastics in the kitchen was unpopular because many Americans considered them to be smelly but Tupper had a breakthrough by inventing plastics that are durable, odorless, non-toxic, and safe for storing food. Since then, it has never looked back and progressed rapidly.
The company divested over the years and forayed into other areas like kids and toys, food storage, serveware, cookware, and bakeware. Tupperware products are sold across many countries like China, India, Canada, Brazil, etc.
In 2014, the company made $2.6 billion in sales. It has more than 2 million representatives worldwide. It is also quoted on NASDAQ.
What is Tupperware MLM?
Tupperware MLM is a result of how its products are distributed and sold worldwide. Tupperware’s sale method is through direct selling. This direct selling method is offered to independent distributors who can sell their products in exchange for commissions.
Tupperware also offers a comprehensive compensation plan to its distributors that works on the number of products sold and people recruited to the company.
As part of its MLM program, there is basic sales training for new members. The moment you become a member you are given Tupperware Business Binder which contains the basic sales training.
How does Tupperware MLM work?
To work with Tupperware MLM, members have to showcase their products by organizing parties. There is no advertisement or marketing. The parties serve as a place where the products are advertised to party attendees. This is a completely different strategy from the usual way the other MLM businesses operate.
Joining the Tupperware MLM is very straightforward. You can join online through their website.
When you visit the website, you will have to click “FIND A REP”. Type your country’s zip code to find a representative. Another way of joining the Tupperware MLM is by going through an authorized member of the company’s consultant team.
The requirement for formally joining the Tupperware MLM is to purchase a starter pack. There are three starter packs to choose from.
- Basic Kit – This will cost you $60
- Starter Kit – This is for $110
- Accelerator Starter Kit – It goes for $349
Your application will be approved after a thorough check. You are good to go once your application is approved.
Tupperware produces quality products that are not replaced periodically. This is why it is different from other MLM companies that are into cosmetics and beauty products. The products are made of good quality material and since plastic products normally don’t break easily, they are very durable.
Some of the key products offered by Tupperware that can also be part of your selling journey are:
Plastic bowls – The plastic bowls are part of Tupperware’s best-seller list. It is a vintage collection of 5 bowls available in different sizes.
The bowls come with tight seal lids that help you store food items that do not leak or spill and remain fresh. The material is crack-resistant and the sizing and colors of these bowls are perfect to recognize your favorite delicacies.
Smart containers – Tupperware offers a range of smart containers to keep your day-to-day vegetables fresh and intact. These containers are a perfect accommodation for potatoes, onions, and garlic.
It comes with a stackable design that allows balanced airflow, ventilation, and humidity. The conditions offered by smart containers keep your vegetables firm, odorless, and rotten-less.
Glass-like tumblers – These tumblers possess glass-like transparency and clearance. The product is a perfect replacement for glasses that are vulnerable to breakage and heavy to carry.
The tumblers are virtually unbreakable, hassle-free to carry, and offer a perfect grip to adults and kids due to their lightweight material. The tumblers can be used to serve your occasional favorite beverages as well as for daily water consumption.
All the Tupperware products are backed by a 30-day return and refund policy along with a conditional warranty specific to the category of items you purchase.
Are Tupperware products worth their pricing?
There is no compromise on the quality of products and the name Tupperware is enough for anyone to buy its products regardless of pricing.
However, in comparison with some other brands in the same category, you can find products that are cheaper than Tupperware.
A Tupperware bowl set is priced at $62 (5-pieces) and some of the highly-rated bowl sets on Amazon are priced between $19 to $40 (5 or more pieces).
Likewise, a plastic tumbler set (4-pieces) costs $28 on the Tupperware website whereas some of the best-seller tumbler sets (4-pieces or more) cost from $18 to $23.
It is evident from the comparison that Tupperware products are costlier. Some of its customer reviews are also not in favor of Tupperware pricing.
Still… owing to Tupperware’s reputation, branding, and quality people prefer to buy their products irrespective of pricing.
How to make money with Tupperware MLM?
To make money with Tupperware MLM, you will have to host parties and invite your friend, family, and other guests to showcase the products. If someone orders and buy the products you can earn:
- Commissions on personal sales and,
When your customers become a member of your team and purchase more products and sell them further you can earn:
- Team bonuses and leadership commissions
The Tupperware MLM compensation plan
There are different compensation plans for new and existing members. Below are the details of the plans:
- Sales commissions – This refers to the base commission that representatives can earn for the products sold at retail prices. The commission is 25%. This commission is earned when products are sold at the demo parties or online. The criterion for qualifying for this commission is that a representative must have generated sales of $600 in 6 months.
- Bonus commissions – If as a representative you are able to make more sales, you are entitled to bonus commissions as follows:
- If you make $1,500 in retail sales, you will get a 5% commission extra for that month.
- There is a 10% extra commission if you generate $4,000 in retail sales for a particular month.
- Team performance commission – There are also commissions for team performance. If you are at the Manager level, you can earn a commission of between 4% and 8%. As a Director your commission falls between 6% and 12%.
- Host Bonuses – Representatives are to recruit hosts for their parties and demos. There are no commissions given to the host. However, there are discounts and free products to take care of the hosting. If a host makes sales of about $200 or more, he or she would have a select a product from a catalog of many featured products.
Can you make money with Tupperware MLM?
Yes, you can make money with Tupperware MLM simply because it is Tupperware. The company’s existence, product category, and quality will play a very important part when you work with Tupperware MLM.
Remember, you are selling household items that are a must-have for day-to-day needs and you don’t have to over-perform while convincing people to buy these products.
However, it is not easy to make money with MLMs. What may become a hurdle between you and money are competition and building a team of people.
Even though Tupperware is a well-reputed and established brand there is no shortage of such products in the market today as it was some years back. And with the emergence of online shopping, buying plasticware has become much easier and cheaper.
Secondly, you can make some money selling the products and recruit a few people but this may not last long. Sustainability has always been a problem working with MLMs especially, in recruiting people.
I couldn’t find the latest income disclosure statement of Tupperware consultants. The one that is available goes back to 2018 and the figures are not encouraging.
So, all in all, there is money to be made with Tupperware that can add marginal value to your overall income but cannot provide full-time earning resources.
Is Tupperware a scam or a pyramid scheme?
Tupperware MLM is not a scam. It is a legit company that has been in operation for 75 years. It is no small feat to spend so many decades in the MLM industry with so much competition, and financial crisis around. Tupperware still offers quality products and pays its consultants for their performance.
No, the Tupperware MLM is not a pyramid scheme. Representatives can sell their products and make commissions directly but recruitment is required to make a good amount of money.
- Established MLM Company – Tupperware has been operating for more than 7 decades which is an impressive achievement by all standards. Being a company with longevity gives you the confidence that the organization is not going down soon.
- Quality products – Quality products are the main reason why Tupperware is still in operation. The products are of great quality and made with durability in mind. These products are also reasonably priced. The durability of the products cannot be compared with their competitors. Apart from the fact that the products are of high-quality and affordable, the products are also popular. Since the products are well-known and popular already, the representatives don’t need to talk too much. Tupperware is a good brand that promotes itself. It doesn’t require any kind of hype.
- Great incentives – The Tupperware MLM provides excellent incentives to its representatives in the form of commissions that are on the higher side. There are different percentages of commissions that encourage many people to join the Tupperware MLM.
- Training – There is a basic kind of sales training for every new member that joins the Tupperware MLM. The training helps to prepare the newcomers on how to get started. There are also coaching and mentoring programs to enhance the career of new members.
- Not so affordable pricing – Some Tupperware products are costly and some are reasonably priced. While affordability is one of the plus points expensive products could lead to inconsistency in terms of generating regular sales.
- Competitive market – The plasticware market is not new. It is over-burdened with 100s of products sold by many companies and online stores simultaneously. You will have to remain competitive by displaying innovative sales skills and commitment.
- Hiring people is required – It is difficult to make good money without recruiting people. This is common across MLMs and Tupperware’s compensation plan is no exception. Hiring people for a long time will be a bigger challenge than selling products.
Conclusion: Is Tupperware MLM recommended?
Tupperware MLM will be ideal for people who love direct sales and selling generally. It is also perfect for housewives, cooks, and chefs.
The Tupperware MLM is better than other MLM companies because the company focuses on retail sales.
It is recommended because it operates a different type of MLM that is at variance with the other MLM companies and also because it is a brand you are working with. The company is established, stable, and reputed.
However, as a word of caution do not leave your existing job or earning resources for Tupperware MLM. It can feed your pocket some side income in your spare time but you cannot make a living working with it.
If you are really looking for an earning resource that has the potential to replace your 9-5 job then check my recommendation below.