There are many ways to make money with an online business. Promoting products through affiliate marketing is one, another is to promote your own brand of products or a website. All these require proper marketing methods such as advertising. An effective advertising strategy can turn your business into a money-making machine. This is where paid advertising or cost per click also called pay per click advertising comes in. So, what is cost per click advertising? Well, this is what you will find out in this post.
I will tell you how cost-per-click advertising works, and some important pros and cons related to it.
What is Cost Per Click advertising?
Cost Per Click (CPC) advertising is a type of online advertising that allows you to pay for clicks on your ads. It is an online advertising model used to direct traffic to websites, in which an advertiser pays a publisher (typically a website owner or a network of websites) when the ad is clicked.
When someone clicks on one of your ads, you are charged a certain amount per click (hence the name “cost-per-click”).
This amount varies depending on the platform you are using and the competitiveness of the keywords you are targeting.
How does CPC work?
CPC advertising works by having an advertiser (you) create an ad that is relevant to your business. This can be text, image, or video-based and then you will pay every time a user clicks on the ad.
When someone searches for a keyword that you are targeting with your ad, your ad will be displayed along with the other ads that are related to that keyword.
If the person clicks on your ad, they will be taken to your website, and you will be charged a certain amount per click.
You pay for the ad and in return earn money if that person takes action on your ad by purchasing certain products.
How to get started with CPC advertising
Getting started with CPC is fairly simple. You set your budget, choose which platform you want to advertise on (like Google or Facebook), and bid on keywords that are relevant to your business. Then all you have to do is create an ad and wait for the clicks.
Cost-per-click advertising platform providers:
You must first decide where you want to advertise with cost-per-click advertising. The most popular platforms for cost-per-click advertising are Google, Bing, and Facebook.
If you want to advertise with text ads on the search engine results page then you need to use Google’s AdWords and Bing Ads network. If you want to advertise with image, video, or text ads on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter then you need to use the Facebook Ads and Twitter Ads platform.
Alternatively, paid advertising is also offered by Pinterest and many other private ad networks that you can find online.
How much does a click cost in cost-per-click advertising?
The cost per click (CPC) varies depending on the platform, but it typically ranges from $0.01 to $0.50 per click with an average of around $0.05-$0.15.
The CPC you pay will depend on how competitive your market is and what keywords you’re targeting, so do some research before deciding which platform is right for you.
The price that you pay every time someone clicks on your ad is decided by an auction process among all advertisers competing within the same category. The amount you’re willing to pay for a click is called your “maximum bid.”
Here is the average CPC on Google and Facebook Ads:
Google – On average, the cost per click on Google is $0.58 for desktop users and $0.45 for mobile users.
Facebook – The cost per click on Facebook can vary depending on a number of factors such as the type of ad, audience targeting, ad placement, and time of day. In general, the average cost per click on Facebook is $0.97 for mobile users and $0.70 for desktop users.
However, the CPC for certain industries can be much higher or lower than this average.
Difference between cost-per-click (CPC) and cost-per-action (CPA)
Cost per click (CPC) means that you pay for each time a user clicks on your ad. Cost per action (CPA) is when you only pay for conversions, like sales or leads being completed from the ads.
The difference between CPA and CPC boils down to how much you are willing to pay for an ad click and how much you are willing to pay for a conversion.
It’s important to note that CPC is different from cost-per-action (CPA). With CPA, you’re charged each time someone completes an action on your site, like signing up for a newsletter or making a purchase. CPC is charged each time someone clicks on your ad.
Tips for improving your CPC campaign
There is no guaranteed way to improve your CPC campaign, but here are some tips that may help:
Target high-value keywords: When bidding on keywords, it’s important to target those that have a high value to your business. This means you’ll likely pay more per click, but the traffic will be more relevant and valuable.
Use ad extensions: Ad extensions are a great way to improve your click-through rate (CTR) and get more bang for your buck. They allow you to include more information about your business directly in your ads, like an address, phone number, or more web page links.
Optimize your landing page: Your landing page is the most important part of your cost-per-click campaign as it’s where you will guide users to convert. Make sure that the information on your landing page matches the keyword they used to click on your ad.
Can you make money with CPC advertising?
CPC advertising can be a good way to make money, but it is not without its risks. The key to making money with CPC advertising is to target high-traffic keywords that have a low competition rate.
This means that more people will see your ads, but fewer of them will click on them. Although you are paying less per click, the number of clicks you get will be lower than if your keyword was highly competitive and had a high competition rate.
Yes, money can definitely be made with CPC campaigns. However, as mentioned earlier, this requires a lot of work and attention in order to stay on top of the competition.
If you’re not prepared to put in the effort, you’re likely to see little return on your investment. Like all marketing strategies, it takes time and effort to see results.
Is Cost-per-click advertising right for me?
CPC is a great option for businesses of all sizes, but it may be more beneficial for those with larger budgets. The amount you spend on CPC will depend on the competitiveness of your industry and keyword, so it’s important to do your research before diving in.
Pros of CPC advertising
- Reaches specific audience targets: One of the best things about CPC is that you can control who sees your ads. This lets you reach a more targeted, relevant group of people. When done correctly, this will drive more traffic and conversions to your site than other forms of marketing. CPC allows advertisers to target specific audiences with their ads based on interests, demographics, and other factors.
- Flexible budget: You can determine how much to spend on your CPC advertising. This lets you decide what your maximum cost per click should be and keep it within a certain range or set it at the very minimum amount. Unlike traditional advertising methods like TV or radio spots, you can control how much you spend on CPC campaigns. This makes it a more affordable option for businesses of all sizes.
- Conversion tracking: CPC platforms offer conversion tracking tools that allow you to see how many people clicked on your ad and then converted (i.e. made a purchase or signed up for a service). This information can help you to optimize your campaigns and improve your ROI.
Cons of CPC advertising
- Costly: Although you can control how much you spend on cost-per-click advertising, it can get expensive. The more popular your keyword is, the higher price you’ll have to pay per click.
- Time-consuming: CPC campaigns require a lot of work and attention to stay relevant in the search engines and make money from ad clicks. There’s no such thing as “set it and forget it” when it comes to CPC. Setting up a CPC campaign and managing it can be very time-consuming, especially if you’re not familiar with the platform or don’t know what keywords to target. It’s important that your ads are relevant in order for them to perform well so make sure you have enough hours every week devoted solely toward this task.
- High competition: As mentioned earlier, the CPC market is highly competitive so it can be difficult to stand out from the crowd.
- Low conversion rate: Some businesses have reported low conversion rates (the number of people who complete an action such as a purchase or sign-up) with CPC campaigns. This can be frustrating if you’re not seeing the results you were hoping for.
Conclusion: Is Cost-per-click advertising recommended?
CPC is a great way to reach specific audiences with relevant ads and can be very profitable if done correctly. It surely helps increase traffic to your site. But, before deciding if this type of marketing strategy is right for you, make sure that it aligns with your business goals and budget.
Also, note that it requires a lot of effort and attention so make sure you’re prepared for the commitment before starting a campaign.
If you’re unsure whether CPC is the right choice for your business, consult with an experienced digital marketing agency. They can help guide you through the process and set up a campaign that will be successful for your brand.
Overall, cost-per-click advertising is a recommended way to connect with potential customers and increase exposure to your website.
It might not be worth investing in CPC if you don’t have much money to spend on advertising or if your target audience isn’t likely going through those channels.
If you are looking to learn more about knowing and implementing paid advertising then check out my no.1 recommendation here. You will get detailed guidance on using Google AdWords for paid advertising along with end-to-end affiliate marketing training, a website, and awesome support.