One of the many options that appear in your search results for online jobs is transcription. Transcription jobs are something that can be done from the comfort of your home, on a computer/laptop, part-time or full-time, with no investment, and without any experience. In this article, you will find out what is an online transcription job and also get to read the Scribie transcription review.
Disclaimer: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click and join the program I will earn a small commission with no extra cost to you.
What is transcription?
In simple words, transcription means a written version of something that is audible or viewable. Some of the examples are job interviews, group discussions, telephone calls, speeches, seminars, conferences, court hearings, documentaries, sermons, etc. These files are available in recorded versions that can be heard or viewed but need to be converted into a written or a text version.
The recording company uploads the audio/video files to an online transcription service provider. The transcription service providers convert the files into a clean text version through their automated software. The text versions are delivered back to customers at an agreed price.
What is an Online Transcription job?
The conversion (transcription) demands the requirement of specific people who are willing to work online to earn some money as a freelancer.
Many transcription sites offer freelancer positions to perform the transcription tasks and pay on the number of hours/files transcribed. Online transcription job offers an opportunity to earn a consistent monthly income. As a beginner, the earnings will be limited but as you gain valuable knowledge and experience the earnings will increase.
Scribie Transcription Review
If you would love to work from home as a transcriber, Scribie will be a great choice for you. As the world gradually moves into a digital economy, making money online is becoming more attractive by the day. And this is the kind of opportunity that Scribie offers you.
What is Scribie?
Scribie is a transcription-based service platform where you can be hired as a freelancer to transcribe an audio or video message into a text format. Does it sound like something you can handle? If the answer is yes, then, you have the potential to make some money as a transcriber or transcriptionist. It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner or an expert. Scribie allows anyone who can do a good job to join the platform.
Scribie, formally known as CallGraph was founded in March 2008 by Rajiv Poddar. He founded CGBiz Corporation which is the company that owns Scribie. Rajiv started out as a plugin developer for Skype. He developed a plugin that can record and transcribe audio. Later, Rajiv realized he needed to make transcripts that are fast and of high-quality. This was how Scribie was birthed.
Scribie offers different types of transcription services including documentaries, speeches, dictations, depositions, recordings, meetings, discussions, podcasts, lectures, conference calls, sermons, audio, and video files.
How does the Scribie platform work?
Freelancers having different levels of experience in transcription are hired by Scribie. The platform is flexible with no forced minimum hours of work. When you are chosen, you log in to the website and select a task.
Each of the files goes through a 3-step process of raw transcription, review, and final verification. Payment is per audio hour of whatever task you have picked. Some of the tasks include listening to telephone calls, speeches, documentaries, sermons, etc. The files are not more than 6 minutes long.
Another great feature of Scribie is that you can get to listen to the snippet of audio so you can make up your mind on whether to choose the file or not.
Requirements for joining Scribie
There are some requirements needed before you can join Scribie. Here are the four most important requirements:
- Great comprehension of the English language – A great understanding of the English language is an important requirement. This means you must have an excellent interpretation skill to accurately interpret conversations and pinpoint where there are issues.
- Knowing how to do reviews and corrections – You should be able to review and correct the transcript since the software is an automated one that doesn’t guarantee 100% perfection. So, the human touch to the text file is very critical.
- Working tools – You need some working tools like a computer, internet connection, and a headphone to get started.
- A Paypal Account – A Paypal account is required to transfer your transcription earnings from Scribie.com.
How do I sign-up for Scribie?
If you possess the above requirements, then, you can move to the next level. This level is about the Certification Process.
- Submit your application form by visiting the website at https://scribie.com/freelance-transcription#apply. You will get an application number. An email confirmation is a next step.
- The application is reviewed within 24 hours. It is either your application is approved or rejected. You can re-apply in case of rejection.
- If your application is approved, you will see some test files when you log in. Choose a file and begin to transcribe. Once you submit the text file you have transcribed, your file will go for a review. If you scale through the review, then, you are certified. You will be paid for the test. Work can now start officially.
- There are 10 attempts to make in case your application is rejected.
What you can do on Scribie?
Once you have cleared the transcription test, you are notified through email and approved to work as a certified transcriber. Scribie has a 5-step process and transcriptionists have to take part in step 2 to 5. Below are the steps in details:
- File splitting – This is the very first step where the audio file is split at intervals of 6 minutes. This is a very important step. It is easier to work on a 6-minute audio file.
- Raw transcription – Using the Scribie copyrighted software, there is an automatic transcription of the audio file. This is where your skill is needed as a freelancer. The software is not 100% accurate. It has an accuracy level of up to 95%. You are to check the text file to be sure it is free of errors to achieve 99.9% accuracy.
- Review – You can be hired as a reviewer after working on one audio hour of transcription. A thorough check is done at this point. The text file is scrutinized word for word against the audio file to ensure that the job is perfectly done.
- Proofreading – You may be promoted to a Proofreader if your average grade is increased after being a Reviewer. More money is earned as a Proofreader and a contract position with a good monthly salary is also possible. As a Proofreader, you are responsible for checking the text file against the audio version.
- Quality check – This is where you can earn a lot more money. The quality of the text file is properly checked at this stage. If it passes the quality check, the job is then sent to the client or it is returned for proper proofreading.
How much one can earn with Scribie?
The amount you can earn per week or month entirely depends on you. You can earn between $5 and $25 per audio hour for any transcription job completed. Professional transcribers have a better chance of earning more.
You can earn a minimum of $100 or $1,000 per month depending on the quality of your work. Payment is made through PayPal with no minimum payout. Payment is approved within 24 hours of requesting for it.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Scribie legit or scam?
Answer: Scribie is not a scam in any way. It is a 100% legit transcription-based company.
- Must I have a verified PayPal account before joining Scribie?
Answer: Yes, you must have a verified PayPal account that is linked to your bank or credit card.
- What is the minimum threshold for withdrawal?
Answer: There is no minimum threshold. You can withdraw any amount made at any time.
- Does every applicant has go through the online test?
Answer: Yes, every applicant has to go through an online test that requires you to answer some grammatical questions, punctuate the sentences, and transcribe a file for the live customer.
- Does Scribie has enough files to transcribe for their transcriber?
Answer: There is no shortage of work and you will remain occupied throughout the day depending on the number of hours you want to work.
Useful tips to maintain your transcription account in good shape at Scribie:
- Before attempting the live transcription test you have the option of doing practice files. Hone your skills and obtain some knowledge about automated transcription scripts to get good results in a few attempts.
- Always select the files that you are confident about transcribing and achieving good grades.
- As a beginner, avoid haste in doing more files. Remember, you need to learn and understand the skills first to perform the transcription with perfection.
- Once you have transcribed a particular file, always go through the audio and converted text again to ensure 100% accuracy and efficiency. In case you are not satisfied, do not submit and cancel the file. Canceling the file does not impact your grade.
- If you can afford it, it is recommended to buy a professional transcribing headset. Transcription-specific headsets are built to understand the conversation better with their adjustable volume and bass. These headsets also come with outside noise cancellation and comfortable fitting.
- You need to be patient to reach higher levels of transcription as it requires adequate knowledge and experience. Attempting more work to earn quick money is not considered as a sign of a professional transcriber.
Who is it for?
The platform is for transcribers and transcriptionists. This makes it perfect for people who would love to work from home. It is ideal for nursing mothers, housewives, students, unemployed persons and freelancers in general.
The Pros and Cons of Scribie
- It is free to join the platform
- There is no minimum payment threshold
- Scribie has paid out close to $3 million to date
- Earning potentials can be increased through different assignments
- It is very flexible. You are not forced to stay online for a particular amount of time.
- You are given 10 chances to take certification exams
- Independent contractor position for proofreaders and quality checkers at a fixed monthly earning
- Additional earnings through daily/monthly bonuses, referrals, and affiliates
- You get 24/7 live chat and phone support during the weekdays, and through emails on weekends
- No mobile app
- The platform has a grading system. Once your grading goes below 2.5, you won’t be allowed to choose assignments. This is to ensure quality control and consistency with the performance of transcribers.
- Payment is only through PayPal
- Low payment for beginners
Conclusion: Is Scribie recommended? Does the transcription job has any future?
Yes, Scribie is recommended if you are looking for a way to augment your income as a freelancer.
Transcription work has been in the business for more than two decades. The companies may improve the technology in the future with automated versions of transcription software. But irrespective of the automation, human intervention will still be required to achieve 100% accuracy.
Transcription jobs may not be a permanent solution to earn big bucks but give you an option to remain occupied online. There are no specialized skills or whole day required to keep your job that is helpful in making passive income consistently.