If you are looking for an eCommerce solution that can help you set up an online store quickly and easily, then BigCommerce is a good option to consider. The BigCommerce review post will take a detailed look at what BigCommerce is, how it works, the features it offers, the services it provides, and the different pricing plans available.
We will also list down the pros and cons of using BigCommerce so that you can make an informed decision about whether or not this platform is right for your business.
New to Dropshipping/E-commerce?
The BigCommerce Review: What is BigCommerce?
BigCommerce is a popular e-commerce platform that helps businesses of all sizes create an online store. It offers a wide range of features and services to help businesses sell their products and services online.
BigCommerce was launched in 2009 and is considered one of the leading e-commerce service providers around the globe. It has more than 50000+ merchants with users in more than 150+ countries.
BigCommerce is also one of the most affordable e-commerce platforms available, with pricing plans that start at just $29.95/month.
How does BigCommerce work?
BigCommerce is a hosted SaaS-based platform, which means that you don’t need to worry about setting up or maintaining your own server.
BigCommerce takes care of all the hosting and security for you. You just have to pay monthly fees to access the platform. This makes it easy for businesses of all sizes to get started with e-commerce.
How to get started with BigCommerce?
Getting started with BigCommerce is easy. You can sign up for a free trial to try out the platform, or you can choose one of the paid plans that best fits your needs. Just click on ‘Start your free trial’ and get free access for 15-days to test BigCommerce features.
You can also request a demo to review the BigCommerce features before making a decision to use them for your business.
Here is the detailed video on getting started with BigCommerce:
Once you’ve signed up, you can start creating your store by adding products, setting up shipping and tax rates, and choosing a payment processor.
BigCommerce Features and Services
Some of the key features of BigCommerce include:
Store design: You can choose from a library of professionally designed templates to create a store that looks great. There are a lot of responsive templates to choose from on BigCommerce. You can also use the built-in editor to customize the look and feel of your store.
BigCommerce also has a number of free themes on offer. The available free themes are modern, professional-looking, and provide a solid foundation for building an online store.
These are also compatible on any device, at the same time fast-loading too. You can enhance the store visibility and attractiveness by opting for paid themes also.
Product management: Add, edit, and manage your products easily with BigCommerce. You can also create product variants and add multiple images for each product.
The options for creating products are by far the largest among its competitors (200+ per product) which also helps businesses that sell products in different formats.
Shopping cart: Customers can add items to their shopping cart and checkout quickly and easily. While the feature seems very usual and available with lots of other e-commerce platforms what makes it different is the automated series of emails.
There are not one or two but three automated emails that are sent to your store visitors if they leave without taking any action. This function definitely has the edge to improve the number of returning visitors to your store.
Payment processing: BigCommerce supports a wide range of payment processors, so you can choose the one that works best for you. This is owing to its POS (Point of sale) functionality and integration capability with some of the popular POS service providers such as Square, ConnectPOS, Hike, etc.
The variety in payments certainly helps you run your store smoothly.
Shipping: You can set up shipping rates and methods for your products that give you flexibility and you can define different types of rates according to different needs. In addition, BigCommerce will automatically generate shipping labels for you to save you time and effort.
Tax management: You can configure tax rates for your products and have them automatically applied during checkout. This option is definitely a time-saver which otherwise is very challenging. However, this can cost you extra $$$ as the tax calculation facility is dependent on third-party tax calculation apps.
Marketing: BigCommerce offers a variety of marketing tools to help you promote your store and products. You can create custom coupons, run email campaigns, and track your sales data.
SEO: BigCommerce provides built-in SEO tools to help you optimize your store for search engines. You can edit your product titles and descriptions, set up redirects, modify product-specific URLs, and more.
One of the vital features of BigCommerce in terms of improving SEO is its template responsiveness. The compatibility works in tandem with Google algorithms that prefer to rank content that is mobile-friendly and fast-loading.
Social media: BigCommerce makes it easy to connect your store with social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter. You can share products, run social media campaigns, and track your results.
Customer service: BigCommerce offers 24/7 support to help you with any problems you may have with the platform or the store. You can also create and access a knowledge base or FAQ section for yourself and your customers.
Some of the resources include phone, email, and live chat. The best part about BigCommerce customer support is the language availability. Apart from English, users can connect in some of the European languages such as Dutch, French, German, Italian, and Spanish.
BigCommerce offers four different pricing plans, all of which come with a free trial. The plans are:
- Standard: $29.95/month, includes all the features of the platform
- Plus: $79.95/month, includes all the features of the standard plan plus advanced marketing and SEO tools
- Pro: $299.95/month, includes all the features of the standard and plus plans plus a custom domain name and unlimited storage
- Enterprise: contact BigCommerce for pricing, includes all the features of the pro plan plus priority support and custom features
The Standard, Plus, and Pro plans are ideal packages for individuals and small businesses, whereas an Enterprise plan is more inclined to bigger entities.
Pricing is one of the highlights of BigCommerce that attracts all kinds of users and businesses involved in the e-commerce segment.
Is BigCommerce a scam?
BigCommerce is not a scam. It is a legit company providing valuable e-commerce solutions since 2009. The company has garnered more than 4-star ratings on different independent review platforms.
Can you make money with BigCommerce?
While the straightforward answer to this question would be a yes, it also depends on lots of other factors. BigCommerce has all the tools and features to create a successful online business.
Right from setting up your online store, to managing inventory, processing orders, and shipping it is a complete package. You can use these features to the fullest extent to attract traffic and generate sales.
However, the financial benefits are only possible if you put in the required effort, and learn the process of managing your e-commerce store effectively. With all the factors and your personal efforts in place, you can expect to make 4-5 figures income every month from your store.
Secondly, there is an affiliate program offered by BigCommerce which gives you a chance to earn money directly by referring the platform to others. The program offers 200% commissions on the paid plans subscribed by your referral.
Check the BigCommerce affiliate program to know more details.
- Easy setup and use: BigCommerce is very easy to use. It offers a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for businesses to create and manage their online store. BigCommerce also offers a drag-and-drop feature to enhance your store page visibility.
- Wide range of features: BigCommerce offers a wide range of features that helps businesses to sell their products and services online. These features include product listings, shopping carts, payment processing, order management, shipping options, etc.
- Offers useful integrations – BigCommerce integrates well with many third-party apps. Whether it is a payment gateway, POS units, or other e-commerce apps you can use their services without any hassles or extra cost from the BigCommerce side.
- Good customer support: BigCommerce offers good customer support. It has a well-trained and friendly customer support team that can help businesses with any issue they may encounter while using the platform. There are multiple resources to connect with and useful knowledge-based learning materials to perform self-resolutions.
- Expensive – The standard pricing plan is very affordable but lacks some vital features that will prompt many users to opt for higher pricing plans. This is where BigCommerce may feel expensive to many. It is also to be noted that you may have to shell out extra charges on integrating third-party apps using its cart abandonment, POS features.
- Limited design options: The templates available on BigCommerce are limited and may not be suitable for all businesses. If you are not familiar with customizing the code or HTML on your store you may need to hire a developer if you want to make changes.
Conclusion: Is BigCommerce worth using and recommended?
BigCommerce is a powerful e-commerce platform that offers everything you need to create an online store. It’s easy to use, has a wide range of features, and integrates with a number of shipping providers.
The platform is equipped with some of the power-packed features such as product variations, SEO options, setting up taxation and shipping rules, and multiple device compatibility.
However, there are some drawbacks to using BigCommerce. These include limited design options, and high prices if you want to use all its features.
If you can overlook these downsides, then BigCommerce is a great platform for your business. However, if you’re on a tight budget, you may want to consider another platform, such as Shopify.