You are in the right place if you are looking for a reputable B2B sourcing platform that can connect you with tested and trusted suppliers. This is why I am reviewing Global Sources in this post. Is Global Sources a scam or legit? Read on to find all the answers related to using Global Sources as your dropshipping/e-commerce partner.
In 1995, Global Sources pioneered the very first B2B e-commerce website https://www.globalsources.com/ to provide digital connection to buyers and suppliers of genuine products worldwide.
Global Sources has been promoting global trade by offering tailored solutions through trade shows, magazines, and digital sources.
The platform has more than 10 million registered buyers worldwide.
They have products in different categories including hardware, home products, auto parts and accessories, consumer electronics, machinery and parts, fashion accessories and footwear, fashion apparel and fabrics, bags, and luggage.
New to Dropshipping/E-commerce?
What is Global Sources?
Global Sources is a renowned B2B sourcing company that connects authentic buyers to well-scrutinized suppliers. It has been in the business of promoting global trade for more than 50 years.
It is the directory of choice for many buyers who want to connect with suppliers and manufacturers. The platform is completely free for buyers who are interested in buying quality products from well-verified suppliers.
How do Global Sources work?
It works by registering on the platform at https://www.globalsources.com/.
Click on “Register” to either register as a Buyer or Supplier. As a Buyer, start verifying your potential suppliers. When you find one, start discussing the minimum quantity, quality of the products, and payment method. It is advised you use escrow.com for payment.
How to use Global Sources?
To search for products as a prospective buyer, you don’t have to register on the website. Just go to the search box and type the product that you want.
However, a buyer has to register to transact business with a supplier on the platform.
As a seller, you can sell your products on the platform. You can register for free as an unverified supplier. You are allowed to upload up to 100 products on the website.
Global Sources products
The product category from Global Sources is huge. It includes products under electronics, industrial hardware, fashion, footwear, home appliances, and many more.
Global Sources makes your task easier by including a section of Top-category products. The list consists top 20 category products that are in demand that you can choose to sell. It is helpful in saving you time and effort of searching from thousands of products.
Global Sources pricing
Though to join the platform is free for both buyers and suppliers; Global Sources however makes money by taking a cut from suppliers who have made successful business deals with buyers.
Can I make money with Global Sources?
Yes, you can make money with Global Sources as a retailer. The best way is to have between 40% and 50% markup for your product. This helps you to cover much of the shipping fees and other costs.
How can I pay when using the Global Sources B2B service?
Some of the suppliers accept PayPal while many of them from China don’t accept it.
Global Sources has solved this problem through Global Sources Payments. It is a safe way for buyers to have transactions with suppliers through a trusted website https://www.escrow.com/.
The escrow website holds the buyer’s money in trust for the buyer. Payment is only released to the supplier when the buyer has confirmed receipt of goods purchased.
Is Global Sources a scam?
Global Sources is a legit website but there are many scammers on the platform. People have been scammed through the website.
The scammers are mostly people who disguise themselves as suppliers. Many of them are based in China.
You have to be extra careful when carrying out any transactions through Global Sources.
Even if they are called “verified suppliers”, that does not mean they are trustworthy. You have to conduct some serious research before transacting business with anyone on the platform. Avoid the unverified suppliers completely.
On sitejabber.com, Global Sources has a consumer rating of 1.32 stars from 22 reviewers and it is also rated 383 amongst marketplaces in the world.
The reviews made by dissatisfied buyers are found here at https://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/globalsources.com
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does Global Sources have an app?
Answer: Yes, the platform has a mobile app for iOS and Android. It can be downloaded on App Store and Google Play.
2. Can I create an escrow.com account before purchasing goods from Global Sources?
Answer: Yes, Global Sources has a partnership with escrow.com. This ensures that the transaction environment is safe and secure.
3. Do suppliers pay to get enlisted on the Global Sources?
Answer: Yes, suppliers pay if they want to be “verified suppliers”. Unverified suppliers do not pay.
4. How can I avoid being scammed on Global Sources?
Answer: Don’t make full payment to the supplier. Ensure that the supplier agrees to a structured payment of 30/70 or 30/30/40. You can then get a third party to inspect the goods before making another trench of payment. The best method is to use escrow.com to make your payment.
5. Does Global Sources dropship?
Answer: Yes, Global Sources has manufacturers and suppliers that dropship.
6. Do Global Sources organize trade shows?
Answer: Yes, it does. Click “Trade Shows” on the website to know more.
7. How can I contact Global Sources?
Answer: Global Sources can be contacted through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Free registration – The platform is totally free for both Buyers and Suppliers. This is unlike the other platforms where you have to subscribe to a paid plan before accessing their services.
- Ease of use – Using Global Sources is extremely easy. You can start searching for available products from the search bar. You don’t need to register to search for products.
- Trade dispute settlement – If there is a trade dispute between a buyer and a supplier, the buyer can fill and submit a trade dispute form, and Global Resources will look at it on its merit and resolve the issue amicably.
- Trade shows and exhibitions – Global Sources organizes trade shows and exhibitions in different parts of the world. The trade shows and exhibitions give you the opportunity to discuss with manufacturers one-on-one.
- Mobile app – Global Sources has mobile apps for both iOS and Android. This means you can transact business anywhere as far as you are with your mobile phone.
- Scam-proof payment – While you can pay suppliers with credit card or PayPal; these payment systems are susceptible to fraud. The best method of payment is through https://www.escrow.com/. Fraud is eliminated through escrow.com.
- Newsletter – You can subscribe to the newsletter for free. With the newsletter, you will be able to get updates on new products.
- No integration – Global Sources is not like the other B2B platforms that offer integration with marketplaces like eBay, Walmart, and Amazon. This means the seller cannot sell on multiple channels.
- Unverified suppliers – There are many unverified suppliers or people who disguise themselves as suppliers. This makes the platform open to fraud.
Conclusion: Is Global Sources recommended?
There is no doubt that Global Sources is an excellent platform that connects real buyers with suppliers. The platform is extremely easy to use.
It has a simple website with clear ease of navigation. It is also interesting that some of the suppliers can dropship.
However, one of the drawbacks is that it comes with no integration. There is also the tendency of coming across fraudulent suppliers as seen in the review conducted by sitejabbers.com.
It is a big plus that Global Sources has mobile apps that are available on both iOS and Android. This means you can transact your business from anywhere.
I would recommend Global Sources with a lot of caution. Make sure you do a proper background check before discussing business with any of the suppliers.