If you are considering working online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, data entry is one online job you can start at the comfort of your home. Data entry involves entering data or information into a specified computer program. A typical example is where you input the emails, names, phone numbers, and addresses of potential customers into a computer program such as Microsoft Excel or Word.
You don’t need an office to start a data entry online job. All you need is a computer, an internet connection to work from the comfort of your home. Of course, you must be able to type fast. Typing speed is important if you want to go far in this type of online job. Another thing is good communication skills.
However, there are a lot of scams with online data entry jobs. Don’t pay money to get a job. The jobs are free.
5 best online platforms where you can get data entry jobs
We have taken out time to list different online platforms that offer data entry jobs. You will have to register with more than one platform to increase your chances of getting a job. Below are some of them.
- UpWork – Generally, UpWork is a platform for freelancers. It is a marketplace where freelancers can meet employers. Jobs can be gotten at an hourly pay rate or based on a contract. The worth of each job is displayed with requirements and amount to be paid. You are free to apply if it is okay with you. Payment is usually through your PayPal or Payoneer account. Note that UpWork takes a commission of $1 for every $5 paid. Visit https://UpWork.com to register
- Freelancer – Another platform where you can get a data entry job is on Freelancer. Freelancer is similar to Upwork. Employers make a post, then, you can apply after reading the requirements and amount offered. Give it a try at www.freelancer.com
- Fiverr – Fiverr is an Israeli-based freelancing platform where data entry operators can get jobs. This is a different platform compared to the first two. On Fiverr, you post your gigs and employers are going to contact you when they find your gigs. A gig is a post showing what you offer. The minimum you can charge is $5. You cannot go below $5. Register at www.Fiverr.com
- Amazon mTurk – This platform offers data entry jobs regularly amongst other tasks too. To receive an offer, you will need to register with Amazon mTurk. After you are done with the registration, you have to select Human Intelligence Tasks (HITs). Note that you are only paid if your task is accepted. Visit www.mturk.com to register. Payment is through bank deposit or Amazon gift cards.
- Microworkers – This is a microtask job board. Different tasks can be found on this platform including data entry jobs. You get better payment than other microtask platforms which is paid to your PayPal account. You must reach a threshold of $10 before you are paid. Apply at https://www.microworkers.com/ to get a chance. Watch out for scam offers made by some employers.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the skills needed to work as a data entry operator?
Answer: You require excellent typing skills, organizational skills, computer skills, great communication skills and basic literacy skills.
2. How much can I earn as a data entry operator?
Answer: Depending on the employer’s offer, you can earn between $5 and $20 per hour.
3. What is the ideal typing speed?
Answer: Between 40 and 50 words per minute is perfect.
Data entry jobs are well recommended for housewives, nursing mothers, students and anyone interested in working online. It takes some luck and patience to get offers and you can make regular income when the jobs are consistent.