If you are looking for a mobile app that can help you to earn some money then you are in the right place. Over the last year, I have had the opportunity to review different cash-earning apps. Today, I will be reviewing the Rakuten app. You must have heard of Rakuten or seen it written somewhere and you don’t know the importance.
If you are a football fan, you would have seen Rakuten written on FC Barcelona jersey. Now, you are like “yeah, that is true”. I urge to continue reading if you want to know what Rakuten is and how to make money from the app.
What is Rakuten? An Overview
Rakuten is a cashback online shop that pays you for buying things from their app or website. It is an alternative to Amazon and eBay. It was formally known as Ebates before it was bought over in 2014 and rebranded as Rakuten. Ebates is one of the known cashback websites since 1998.
Rakuten is an internet and e-commerce company established in the year 1997 by Hiroshi Mikitani in Tokyo, Japan. There are more than three million active users on Rakuten.
I am sure you are not interested in the change of name and the history of the company but eager to know how you can make money by joining Rakuten. You also want to know if the platform is legit or scam. Continue to read because all the details will be revealed in this article.
You just don’t only earn cashback for products bought on Rakuten; there are also big deals and rewards for a wide range of products and services. The company aims to help online shoppers make savings on things they are buying. With Rakuten, you can earn cashback whether you shop online or in-store. The choice is yours.
How Rakuten works
Rakuten works by giving some percentage of cash back from the purchases you have made. The cashback percentages vary depending on the store you are purchasing from. Some offer 3% when you make regular purchases while others offer as much as 20% on home products.
Changes are made to cashback percentages from time to time depending on the offers and deals of the stores. You can get double cash back if you purchase in-store. Click on the “Double Cashback Stores” button to see daily amazing deals.
How to create a Rakuten account and earn cash
To create a Rakuten account is very easy. You can download the app from the Play Store or Apple Store and sign up. Another way is to signup directly on the website at https://www.rakuten.com/. You can also download the browser extension for Google Chrome. $10 is given to you on signup.
How do I get my payment from Rakuten?
This is how you get paid by Rakuten if you signup:
- Account balance tracking – To get payment from Rakuten, it is important to track your balance to know how much you have made so far by login into your Rakuten account. Your cashback appears in your account after five days of making a purchase.
- Qualification for payment – Before you can qualify for payment, you must have a working e-mail address. Go to the account settings section; locate “Big Fat Check Settings” to set up your e-mail. The e-mail is important whether you choose to get paid through cheques or PayPal. Payments are sent out quarterly. To receive payment, you must have earned at least $5. There is going to be a carryover of your earnings to the next quarter if it is less than $5.
- Payment schedules – Payments are sent out every 15th day of February, May, August and November.
Different ways of earning cash from Rakuten
There are different ways to earn with Rakuten. Below are the details:
- Double cashback stores during special events – You can earn double cash back from stores during special events such as Cyber Monday week and Black Friday. If you are making use of the Rakuten app, you will get constant notifications when there are special events. You can get as much as 10% cashback bonuses during these special events.
- Referral program – You can earn as much as $25 for every referral if you have a lot of relatives, friends and a large social network. What you need to do is signup on Rakuten app or website; you will receive a referral code that you can quickly share to your friends and relatives. For every purchase made through that referral code, you will earn $25.
- Pick up in-store when you buy online – If you don’t want to waste time waiting for the products you bought to be delivered physically, you can buy online and collect the products in a physical store the same day. That is amazing. Under the “Hot Deals” section, you will find a lot of stores that offer Buy Online; Pickup In-store option.
Who is it for?
Rakuten is meant for online shoppers who want to make extra cash after making purchases online.
- Ease of use – Rakuten is super easy whether you are using the app, website or browser extension. Just click on the store you want to shop from and do your shopping conveniently. It is that simple and easy. Using the browser extension is the easiest way to shop since you don’t have to choose deals manually.
- Cashback – Everyone loves to save money. This is what you gain by making purchases from Rakuten. There are different cashback from different stores. It does not matter what store you are buying from, you will always get cashback.
- A wide range of deals – Rakuten guarantees cashback from more than 2,500 stores and companies. So, there is a high chance that you will find a store that you are already purchasing from on the platform. Some of the well-known brands include Amazon, Walmart, Kohl’s, Target and Booking.com.
- Referral programs – You can earn extra cash by referring people to Rakuten. There is a welcome bonus of $10 if you sign up on the platform and there is also a reward of $5 for everyone you bring to the platform after the referral has made a minimum purchase of $25.
- Safe and free – It is free to create an account on Rakuten. The app is also safe and secure. For security reasons, Rakuten is tested every day by McAfee, an antivirus company. Rakuten is also certified by TRUSTe. All these help to eliminate the issues of identity theft and fraudulent charges.
- Customer service – Rakuten’s customer service is top-notch. Communicating with customer service is through a ticket service. You will have to fill out a form and also submit an electronic ticket, after that, the customer service will get back to you at quick as possible.
- Payment issues – Rakuten only makes quarterly payments i.e. every three months. It means you are not at liberty to choose when you should get paid. Cheques are e-mailed quarterly. Monthly payments will be more like it.
- Product exclusions – Most of the stores on Rakuten have excluded products that you cannot get a rebate for. Such products include mobile phones, gift cards, etc.
- Impulsive shopping – Impulsive shopping could become a habit because of the frequent and attractive cashback. So, impulsive shopping could lead to overspending if you are not careful.
Legit or scam
Rakuten is legit and not a scam.
Conclusion: Is Rakuten App recommended?
Yes and No. Rakuten App is well recommended if you want to earn side income from your mobile/desktop. On the other hand, it is not a consistent way of making-money online.