There is no doubt Udemy is a household name when it comes to video content for learning. The platform allows video creators to sell their content and earn some money. Most of the videos on Udemy are moderately priced and sometimes there is a massive price slash to allow many students to buy their desired video courses. In this review, I will be showing you how to become Udemy affiliate and monetize your blog with a Udemy affiliate marketing program. Read on to get the full details.
The interesting part about Udemy is that it is not like SkillShare where you make just one payment and have access to many courses.
For Udemy, it is pay-per-course. This is where it becomes attractive for affiliate marketers. So, if you have a blog or website that is for e-learning and digital courses, this could be an opportunity to make some cool cash as an Udemy affiliate.
What is Udemy Affiliate Program? An Overview
The Udemy affiliate program is where you can register as an Udemy affiliate and earn up to 20% commission for every video course purchased through your affiliate link. 20% commission is a generous one knowing that it is not all affiliate programs that offer such percentage as commission.
There is a 7-day period before the cookies can expire. This means someone that checked your blog on the first day but did not make a purchase can still come back within 7 days to make a purchase and you will earn a 20% commission.
Udemy categories of products
The e-learning website has courses in different categories such as:
- IT and software
- Office productivity
- Finance and accounting
- Health and fitness
- Personal development
- Teaching and academics
All of these categories create exceptional opportunities for any affiliate marketer.
How to become Udemy affiliate
There are no conditions or hassles to join the Udemy affiliate program. All you need to do is to have an account with Linkshare, Rakuten or Awin. After creating an account with any of these platforms, you can visit the affiliate program website at https://www.udemy.com/affiliate/ and click on JOIN NOW to fill out the application form and submit. After a while, you will get a confirmation message admitting you into the affiliate program.
How do I receive payment?
Payment is received through PayPal after reaching the minimum threshold of $50.
How you can promote Udemy and succeed as an affiliate
This is a piece of vital information that is missing on the Udemy affiliate program website. But as an experienced affiliate marketer, I will share with you how you can successfully promote Udemy to drive traffic to blog.
- Choose a low competitive niche – Some affiliates just promote popular courses regularly through promotional coupons. This can help drive traffic, increase sales, and in turn earn great commissions. But this is a good way to develop a dedicated audience. It makes sense to build your audience around a particular niche to have an identity.
- Create a nice blog – The potential to be able to drive high traffic is important in any affiliate program. As such, it is good to build a blog that is capable of generating up to 5,000 visitors per day. With this, you will effectively promote Udemy along with your affiliate link.
- Landing page optimization – There are no questions about it that affiliate marketing sales depend on conversion rate. This is why your website landing page should be well optimized and convincing enough to increase the chances of readers clicking on your links. Some of the ways to increase conversion rate include using email campaigns, use of compelling images or videos, and collecting visitors’ information so you can send an eBook to entice the visitors.
- Sharing of your personal experiences – Sharing your personal experiences will be a great way to promote Udemy. This can help to build trust compared to making reviews, but you will have to purchase a course.
- Build trust and maintain it – Trust is an instrumental factor to increase sales. Ensure that the course you are promoting can provide extra benefits to the student who wants to buy. There should be value for money no matter how little.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How long does it take to grant an application for joining the program?
Answer: It takes just 3 to 4 business days
- Will I be granted access to special discounts and promotions as an affiliate?
Answer: Of course, yes. Affiliates will have exclusive access to discounts and coupons.
- What can I display on my website?
Answer: You can display banners or links or choose any course from a wide range of courses.
Who is it for?
Udemy affiliate program is for anyone interested in making money online through affiliate marketing. This makes it appropriate for affiliate marketers.
- Well recognized brand – The fact that Udemy is an established brand makes the job easier for any affiliate marketer. When students know that it is Udemy that is behind the course they want to purchase, there is a high chance they will purchase the course.
- High conversion rate – Udemy has a high conversion rate since these are visuals and many people are interested in learning new skills. Udemy boasts of over 150,000 courses in more than 13 categories with each category having many sub-categories under it.
- Dedicated support – Udemy has a dedicated and responsive support team that responds to queries in no time. Just send an email to email@example.com to contact the support team.
- Promotional tools – The Udemy affiliate program come with different tools that can be used to promote the courses. There are frequent sale events, advertisements and promotional campaigns to help increase conversion rates for affiliates. A lot of banners are also available that you can place on your blog to attract buyers.
- Low payout threshold – This is not like many of the affiliate programs where your threshold must reach $100 before you can withdraw the money. The threshold for Udemy affiliate program is $50. This makes it attractive for new affiliate marketers.
- No discrimination – Udemy affiliate program is available in all countries. It is not like other programs where some countries IPs are disabled.
- Low commission rate – There was a time Udemy offers their affiliates between 40% and 50% in commission. That is no longer the case. The commission rate now is just 20%. This is discouraging for many affiliates.
- 7-day cookies – 7 days is such a short period. It will make sense if it is increased to 30 days. A 7-day cookie means many affiliates are losing opportunities to convert a prospect into a buying customer.
- Outdated affiliate website – The Udemy affiliate website has not been updated for more than three years. So, there are no relevant information and updates on the website.
Legit or scam
The fact that the Udemy affiliate program has not been updated for more than three years may give it away as a scam program. But it is not a scam because they have a dedicated support team that still responds to questions and enquiries concerning the program.
Conclusion: Is the Udemy Affiliate program recommended?
Yes, the program is recommended if you want to make money as an affiliate with an e-learning-focused blog of yours.